// Brett D. Estrade
* This class parses a string, and automatically
* formats URLs and email addresses with the
* appropriate HTML so that they are linked.
* It would be easy to extend automatic formatting
* to other items, but currently my needs are only
* for URLs and email address.
* If any improvments are made, please let me know, and
* I will include them in my distribution.
* This code is free for use, modification, and distribution
* as long as this header remains up here.
* Regular expressions for pattern matching were borrowed from
* http://www.phpwizards.net .
* Constructor -- initializes internal elements
//String to parse
$this->str = '';
$this->oldStr = '';
// The below member variables define the link formatting
// for example, for an email address, the default format ('mail:')would
// produce a regular email link, as in <a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com</a>,
// but say you had a page called 'contact.php' that produced a form using 'sendTo' in the query
// string which you used to pass the email address, you would set the email format below
// to './contact.php?sendTo=' . This produces a link such as
// <a href="./contact.php?sendTofirstname.lastname@example.org">
//URL link format
$this->urlFormat = 'href=';
//URL link target
$this->urlTarget = '_self';
//Email link format
$this->emailFormat = './contact.php?sendTo=';//'mailto:';
// Query string example:
//Email link target
$this->emailTarget = '_self';
* Main method --> does parsing and replacing.
function format($str = '')
$this->str = $str;
$this->oldStr = $str;
if (! $this->str == '')
// Regex to parse URLs.
// Contributed by Bill Peck, http://www.pecknet.com
// This leaves URLs that already have the HTML formatting to be left alone
// For example, it will parse 'http://www.mvdev.com',
// but not '<a href="http://www.mvdev.com">mvdev's site</a>'
$this->str = eregi_replace("([^\"[[:alpha:]]|^)([[:alpha:]]+)://([^[:space:]]*)([[:alnum:]#?/&=])", "\\1<a ".$this->urlFormat."\"\\2://\\3\\4\"target=\"".$this->urlTarget."\">\\2://\\3\\4</a>", $this->str);
//These regular expressions were borrowed from http://www.phpwizard.net . Thanks, guys!
//old regex for URLS, has been replaced with the on above
//$this->str = eregi_replace("([[:alnum:]]+)://([^[:space:]]*)([[:alnum:]#?/&=])", "<a ".$this->urlFormat."\"\\1://\\2\\3\" target=\"_blank\" target=\"".$this->urlTarget."\">\\1://\\2\\3</a>", $this->str);
$this->str = eregi_replace("(([a-z0-9_]|\\-|\\.)+@([^[:space:]]*)([[:alnum:]-]))", "<a href=\"".$this->emailFormat."\\1\" target=\"".$this->emailTarget."\">\\1</a>", $this->str);
* Returns original string that was parsed.